This website contains affiliate links, where I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you.
Planning To Go RVing Full-Time?
Follow These 3 Steps to Plan The Start Of Your Full time RVing Adventure & Find Out What to Bring Along When Hitting the Road
Are you just now entering the world of full time RV travel or maybe dreaming of being a location independent nomad, so you can come and go as you please?
Are you wondering about life on the road and what it’s really like to be a full time RVer?
Have you realized that setting down roots for the Standard American Dream (SAD) isn’t all that it’s made out to be? Are you looking for an escape of the norm for the possibility of many adventures in RV life?
Well, wherever you are in your RV planning and thought process, you’ve probably realized that there are several steps that must be completed prior to hopping in your motorhome, travel trailer or fifth wheel and driving off in search of a life full of travel from behind the wheel.
Uprooting your life to cram yourself and what’s left of your worldly processions in to less than a 400 sq ft. RV will take some planning and prep before you’re comfortable enough to set out on that maiden voyage as a full timer.
I wish I could tell you preparing for full time RV living is easy and that anyone can make this dream come to fruition- but the reality is that RV life can be tough especially right there at the start when you’re trying to make sense of it all.
It’s best to make sure you’ve done all the tasks necessary to make sure you have the smoothest transition and that you set yourself up for them most enjoyable experience you’ll have living on the road full time.
People spend months and even years planning the exact day they will own their very own RV and travel full time. Packing up and taking off. Cruising the highways and byways of the good ol’ U.S.A. and seeing all that this country has to offer on one amazing RV camping road trip after the next!
It really is something special to look forward to.Making the leap to go full-time is a big deal!Click To Tweet
I can’t stress this enough… It will take time and planning to find the best way to make sure you stay on track and keep tabs on all the many tasks you’ll need to complete to make this dream come true! You’ll probably need a timeline to keep you on track.
Don’t waste any more time. Start planning for your new life of full time RV living right now with the following steps to help you get started.
Here’s How to Prepare Yourself (& Your Family) for Full time RV Living in 3 Easy Steps
1. Research Full time RV Living & How to Get Started:
When you first get the idea to travel full time you probably have the urge to read every RV travel blog you can find… GO FOR IT! Read all the RV travel blogs you find, then listen to all the podcasts and watch all the YouTube videos you can handle.
Once your done- get out a pad of paper and take some notes on the following items:
- Types of RVs and Campers
- What is the best RV to live in full time?
- Domicile & Residency States for RVers
- Mail Forwarding Services
- Rv Memberships & Camping Clubs
- Rallies, RV Shows & Conferences
- Remote Income Opportunities
- Workamping Jobs
- How to Make Money Traveling
- Healthcare For RVers
2. Set A Date To Start RV Living:
Once you have your initial zombie search of all the greatest content from RV lifestyle bloggers- you can officially set a date that will be the start of your new adventure. It’s time to set your departure date and make your dream of RV travel into a plan to reach a goal.
Create a sense of urgency and give yourself a realistic timeline to start putting the pieces together to start RVing full-time, by circling a date on your calendar, plugging in the date on your google calendar or adding a Facebook.
Even if you aren’t sure of the final departure date, which many of us aren’t, you can still set the preliminary date and adjust it as needed once you have your task list worked out.
3. Organize A List of Tasks:
Here’s a list of steps you can add to a calendar to get started! Remember these tasks can be completed in any order you choose and they will differ from person to person. The main goal is to get yourself organized and start completing what needs to be done little by little until you have nothing left to do but drive off…
Go Full time RVing With These Simple Steps:
- Have an awesome, nearly brilliant, idea to go full-time.
- Google the idea and look at blogs of people who are doing it right now!
- Make the decision to do it and mean it.
- Tell your immediate family… and be prepared for their comments.
- Think about the logistics. How can you make this work?
- Set a start date! Circle it on the calendar.
- Start a countdown. And get pumped about hitting the road.
- Start a travel savings account!
- Start downsizing. Get rid of the stuff you really don’t need.
- Research types of RV and decide which layouts might work for you.
- Go to your local RV dealership or RV show and look around.
- Try to take your current job remote!
- Figure out how you will earn income.
- Research health insurance options. Look into RVHealth!
- Research camping memberships like Thousand Trails, Passport America & Harvest Hosts to save cash!
- List Your house on Airbnb or sell it.
- Tell your friends & Confirm your not Crazy!!!!
- Create a monthly travel budget.
- Research home base options.
- Decide on your RV & buy it!
- Keep downsizing! You can do it!!!!
- Have a Garage sale and get some travel cash!
- Think of small business ideas you can do from the road.
- Decide on which memberships you’ll need and buy them.
- Start planning the route! Where will you go?
- Choose and establish your domicile.
- Pick a mail forwarding service.
- Get a new license. Make sure the photo is great!
- Register to vote. Absentee is better than not at all!
- Start packing your RV… little by little!
- Update your financial information.
- Get new vehicle tags.. Make it official!
- Start new insurance plans!
- Keep downsizing! Just a little more to go-
- Research Workamping! Line up a few jobs!
- Make your first reservations for the first few months.
- Find ways to create space with organization in your RV!
- Finish packing your RV. You’re ready!
- Stop downsizing… Donate the rest!
- Drive off & explore!
Next Up-Figuring Out What To Bring Along
At some point in your planning, you’ll need to start thinking about what you’ll be keeping and bringing with you in the RV.
Sure, you’re downsizing and donating and probably selling some stuff and throwing others away… But the limited items you choose to take with you are really what’s important! You need things that are useful and practical.
What you’ll end up needing inside your RV to feel comfortable on the road, will obviously depend on your personal lifestyle, but in general, there are some items that just about everyone will find useful!
Check out this RV Packing list to help you get started and decide what to bring along for the ride!
RV Packing List For Full time RV Travel
- Instant Pot or Crockpot
- Electric Kettle
- Mini Food Processor
- Dishes, Plates, & Bowls
- Cups & Glasses
- Sharp knives
- Steak knives
- Cutting board
- Campfire forks
- Cast Iron Pot
- Muffin Tin & Silicon Liners
- Paper plates, Plastic Cutlery, Napkins
- Foil Sheets & Parchment Paper
- Wine glasses & Beer Mugs
- Water bottles
- Big Salad Bowl/Serving Bowl
- Can Opener & Corkscrew
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Mixing Bowls Spatula, Whisk, Ladel & Tongs
- Ziploc bags of all sizes
- Plastic containers Lighter/matches
- Bed Sheets & Pillows
- Electric Blanket
- Mattress pad
- Storage Bins
- Door Hooks
- Hamper with Wheels
- Space Heater & Fan
- Iron & Mini Board
- Extra sheets for beds
- Pants & Shorts
- First Aid
- Fire Extinguisher
- Weather Radio Batteries
- Throw Blanket
- Small Pillow
- Wall Clock
- Hats & Belts
- Rain Jacket
- Socks & Slippers
- Air Purifier
- Essential Oil Diffuser
- Pet Bedding
- Pet Supplies
- Rainy Day Movies
- Board Games/Cards
- Towels & Robes
- Loofas & Wash Cloth
- Beach/Pool Towels
- Cotton Balls Qtips
- Toothbrush Holder
- Dental Floss
- Shower Mat
- Body Wash/Soap
- Hand Soap
- RV Toilet Paper
- Disinfectant Spray
- Scrub Brush
- Toilet Cleaner
- Black Tank Additive
- Air Freshener
- Bath Caddy
- Shower Shoes/Flip Flops
- Shaving Cream
- Feminine Products
- Hair Styling Products
- Skin Care Items
- Blow Dryer & Flat Iron
- First Aid Items
- Bug Repellant
- Laundry Detergent
- Fabric Softener
RV HOOK UPS
- Fresh Water Hose (Heated or regular)
- Sewer Hose
- Sewer Elbow Connection
- Sewer Support Stilts
- RV Toilet Wand
- Water Pressure Regulator
- Surge Protector
- Wheel Chocks
- Coax TV Cable
- Outdoor Carpet
- Door Mat
- Rope Lights
- String Lights
- Portable Campfire
- Campfire Chairs
- Picnic Table Cover
- Folding Table
- Bungie Cords
- Bleach Spray
- Disposable Gloves
- Tire Pressure Gauge
- Tool Kit
- Zip Ties
- Duct Tape