This website contains affiliate links, where I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you.
14 Fun Free Things To Do In San Diego For All Ages
- Head to San Diego’s many beaches, all free to the public, to swim, body surf and just relax!
- Head to any of sunny San Diego’s many beaches! They are all free to the public, to swim, body surf or just hang out, play in the sand, or collect seashells! Some offer bonfire rings as well!
- Bike or jog along Mission Bay Park’s many trails. Joggers and walkers share more than 20 miles of scenic running paths!
- Visit downtown San Diego’s Seaport Village for hours of free entertainment. Hang out in the grass and watch the many passing yachts and ships on picturesque San Diego Bay, or take in the sights from one of the many bay-view eateries.
- Visit Old Town and witness the living legacy of San Diego history. Shop the electric shops in the Old Town Market like locals who know where to go.
- Visit the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista for a free tour of the 150-acre facility, including training tracks and athlete dorms. Self-guided tours are available daily between 9:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Stargaze outside the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center in Balboa Park on the first Wednesday of every month, when the San Diego Astronomy Association sets up huge telescopes to offer guests a great view of all the stars in the night sky.
- Visit La Jolla Cove and see the magnificent sunset on the ocean. Try a trolley tour from Old Time Trolley-they offer a day trip to and from this awesome site!
- Grab your picnic basket and head to Torrey Pines State Beach where you can watch daring hang gliders do tricks.
- Rollerblade, skateboard or bicycle along the Mission Beach Boardwalk, a scenic 3-mile boardwalk along picturesque Mission and Pacific Beaches.
- Go scuba diving or snorkeling off San Diego’s shores and see spectacular creatures of the sea. La Jolla Cove offers some of the clearest waters on the California coast, as well as miles of protected underwater preserves to explore.
- Visit the downtown or La Jolla locations of the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego, which are free on the third Thursday of each month from 5:00 – 7:00 pm.
- Explore the tide-pools in Point Loma at low tide and get up close and personal with anemones, shore crabs, octopus, and many other magnificent sea creatures.
- Drive to the top of Mt. Soledad in La Jolla for breathtaking, 360-degree views of San Diego.