Season 2 Episode 6 of the LiveCampWork Podcast!
Southern Cross- Mobile Technicians
Untraditional Workamping = Big Pay For RVers
In this Episode, I’m discussing the details of the Workamping Program by Southern Cross Inc. where they hire RV Travelers as Mobile Technicians inspecting gas lines. These positions, although not the most fun or glamorous- have great benefits and allow for a more streamlined approach to Workamping!
I first found out about Southern Cross from a fellow Workamper who was super excited to tell me all about her experience working for the company previously. She told me all about how she spent her days walking in city as well as residential areas, enjoying the sights and sounds of new areas while inspecting the sidewalks for possible leaks. She said she loved the experience, because it gave her an opportunity to keep active while making some pretty great travel cash for adventures later in the year. I was intrigued by he description of the programs compensation structure- which seemed a little too good to be true, so I did my research to get some more of the details.
Come along for the adventure as I navigate through the world of Workamping with real information, tips & trick, stories from the road, and interviews from Workampers and Employers!
You can download the episode or just click and listen online! Full transcript is available below.
Do me a huge favor!
Subscribe to the Live Camp Work Podcast and share with your friends!
LiveCampWork Podcast with Sharee Collier
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below
Mentioned in this Podcast Episode:
Popular Workamping Benefits
- Starting hourly rate at $11.00/hr.
- $300.00 Per diem per week. (RV site and living expenses)
- Daily vehicle mileage is reimbursed at the IRS rate.
- RV reassignment mileage is reimbursed (when moving the RV from one project to the next). This reimbursement rate is .25 cents above the current IRS rate.
A Few Things to Know about Workamping at Southern Cross
- Survey technicians work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- They must be physically fit and able to walk 6-8 miles per day on varied terrain 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.
- Also requires the ability to be able to repeatedly lift their arms over their heads. Our first priority is the safety of our team, so we promote a culture of taking our time and staying safe.
- A large portion of the job is actually documenting our work on I-Pads, Android tablets and PC based laptops. Therefore, the ability to interact with technology is required.
- Map reading skills are a plus.
- Each technician must have viable transportation. This could be the tow vehicle (pick-up) or small car towed behind a motorhome.
- Every technician must have a valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance.
- Travelers must find and secure their own RV park.