Aghhhh… This is how I feel right now!
Totally overwhelmed and bit unsure of how this will all play out in the end. I’ve already announced it publically, so there’s really no turning back and all that’s left to do is just keep moving forward.
This is what I have to keep telling myself as I spend hour after hour trying to organize my thoughts, my tasks, and my travels.
I knew writing a book would be a big deal. It was a dream. One that I’ve always wanted to see come true- and now was the time. I’m approaching my 33 birthday and feel compelled to put a plan in action to what that day extra special.
What I didn’t know-
I didn’t know it was actually this much work. Really! I knew it would be hard to find all the words I wanted to say and to align them into some type of cohesive format that flowed nicely for the reader, but I thought that was the hard part. It’s not!
The hard part is what happens after you decide you want to publish your book. It’s basically a fulltime job just trying to research how to do it, the best methods of self-publishing, and then how to market the thing so it’s not a total flop. (That’s scary!)
I’ve been scouring the internet for every bit of information I can find. Making notes, filling notebooks, then starting a new one. I’m literally exhausted! And I haven’t even finished the first draft.
Here’s a short list of things I didn’t know:
- I didn’t know you needed a whole website to market the book and to build an audience.
- I didn’t know you needed an entire team of awesome people to help you launch the book.
- I didn’t know you had to format the book exactly as Amazon says you have to or it will be rejected.
- I didn’t know you need to set up a separate email list for readers and folks interested in FREE copies.
- I didn’t know there were specific programs you have to buy to help you choose your keywords, so people can actually find your book.
- I didn’t know there was so much thought that went into the sub-title of the book.
- I didn’t know I needed a new Facebook Page and a Private Group.
- I didn’t know Barnes & Nobel also self-published books.
- I didn’t know anything…
but know I do. Now, I just have to get myself organized and get it all done.
What did I get myself in to?
Even though I’m super stressed I still believe I made the right choice. The longer I put off this goal of publishing a print book, the longer it will linger on my ever growing to do list and the longer it will stop me from achieving other goals.
The truth is, the time is now. Now is the time to do it! And I’ve already published the date publically- so like I said, there’s really no turning back now.